At Riverside Primary School we believe that Art and design stimulates creativity and imagination. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences and a special way of understanding and responding to the world and enables children to communicate what they see, feel and think through the use of colour, texture, form, pattern and different materials and processes.
At Riverside Primary School we aim to provide an education in Art and Design that:
● Enables children to become visually literate and understand that Art is a form of communication.
● Enables children to use a wide range of media to communicate ideas and feelings.
● Nurtures and harnesses creativity and acquires and develops a range of skills and techniques.
● Develops children’s capacity for imaginative and original thought and to try out ideas without the fear of failing.
● Enables children through observation to learn about the world around them.
● Helps children learn about the role of art, craft and design in their environment and take inspiration from it.
● Enables children to become independent in the planning and reviewing of their work
● Enables children to develop their full potential confidently and independently.
For more information about Riverside's approach to art, please refer to the documents below: