Music is a unique way of communicating that can inspire and motivate children. It is a vehicle for personal expression, and it can play an important part in the personal development of people. Music reflects the culture and society we live in, and so the teaching and learning of music enable children to understand better the world that they live in. Besides being a creative and enjoyable activity, music can also be a highly academic and demanding subject. It also plays an important part in helping children to feel part of a community. We provide opportunities for all children to create, play, perform and enjoy music, to develop the skills, to appreciate a wide variety of musical forms, and to begin to make judgments about the quality of music.
● To enjoy listening to a wide range of music from different times and cultures.
● To enjoy making music based on different times and cultures.
● To perform with confidence and enjoyment.
● To sing with confidence and enjoyment.
● To develop composition and appraising skills.
● To develop a musical vocabulary with which to evaluate the music listened to.
● To provide a range of musical opportunities.
● To encourage awareness, enjoyment and appreciation of Music in all its forms.
● To develop imagination and creativity.
● To help children of all abilities develop positive attitudes and to experience success and satisfaction in Music.
● To offer opportunities to perform, compose, listen and appraise.
For more information about Riverside's approach to music, please refer to the documents below: