At Riverside Primary School we aim to teach children how to make sense of the world around them by developing their ability to calculate, reason and solve problems. We aim to support children in achieving economic well-being by equipping them with a range of computational skills and the ability to solve problems in a variety of contexts by delivering a mastery curriculum.
Our aims in the teaching of mathematics are:
- to inspire and enthuse our children to develop a love of mathematics through practical activity, exploration and discussion.
- to equip our children with all the necessary skills and knowledge to enable them to become confident and competent mathematicians.
- to become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, enabling pupils to develop a secure conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- to develop the ability to solve problems through decision-making and reasoning in a range of contexts.
- to develop a deeper understanding of mathematics enabling children to reason mathematically through enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations which can be proved and justified using mathematical language.
- to meet the statutory requirements of Curriculum 2014.
For more information about Riverside's approach to Maths, please read our school Policy: